Search This Blog

Sunday, August 12, 2012

Travel Etiquette: The Twins Top 5 Travel Pet Peeves


We're taking part of the Traveling Brown Girls Blog Carnival.  My sister and I are excited to participate, and even though we are novice travelers compared to our counterparts, thought we'll add a few cents in on the topic at hand.  

#1 Packing at the last minute- We are complete opposites on this matter.  Rhonda packs days in advance, and I (Sharee) am the procrastinator of this dynamic twin duo.  I often can't sleep the night before a flight, so I find myself packing....and still forgetting something.  This causes us to rush, and often I find myself spending extra money at the destination purchasing something I left at home.

#2 Airport security check-point- Rhonda often finds herself with her laptop as a carry-on, and it has slowed us down through the airport security check-in process.  All the while, I find myself breezing through and waiting on my sister. Except the time I had an extra large toothpaste.  Instead of my normal travel size, I bought a 25% bonus toothpaste, and had to throw it away at the security check-point...sigh.

#3 Anxious to get day started- Often times when we travel together, we are anxious to start the day.  However, when we are with other people, family or friends, it is not a priority to them.  We find that early bird catches the worm, or in some cases, the early train.

#4 Sleeping in- to piggy back on #3, the purpose of travel is to explore not sleep in.  You can sleep at home. Enough said!! 

#5 Patronizing familiar establishments- Whether traveling domestic or international, we like to seek out restaurants or shopping districts that differ from what we are familiar with.  Eating at Popeye's or McDonald's or shopping at Macy's isn't on our travel game plan.  We like to find new places that we are unfamiliar with, and distinct to that destination.

Rhonda & Sharee Washington



20 comments:

  1. Great list!
    I hesitate to admit it, but I have been guilty of packing at the last minute. If it's a short weekend trip, it works out because it's a great way NOT to overpack, but if it's for a week or longer, packing (or getting started) AT LEAST a few days in advance works out WAY better. #hangingmyheadinshame LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for being my back-up. My sis gets on me all the time about the last minute packing. Usually it's for short wknds, but with two upcoming international trips that are over 10 days, I've got to do better. Nothing like being in a foreign country and forgetting my hair moisturizer like I did last time. Yikes!! (Sharee)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Guilty of #1. I am usually throwing the last items in my bag just minutes before heading out the door to the airport. I know it drives my friends who drive me insane, but I can't seem to get it done earlier. :-(

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL!! The good thing about having an identical twin is that some items that I forget, I can borrow from her luggage...she knows to pack extra undergarments (their clean..no cuties), sleepwear (usually an extra top), and socks (who forgets those??). The socks have definitely come in handy going through security and after reading some of travel posts on that travel pet peeve, I will never ever, NEVER EVER, forget socks!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am guilty of #1 as well .... and in my haste, I always overpack. Then again, for my trip to Italy this summer, I started packing weeks in advance and I had TOO much time to plan/think. I still overpacked. The sweet spot for me is 2-3 days out ... :-)

    My sis and I travel together and I love it! But, how cool would it be if she was my twin. It must be pretty great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it is pretty cool. When we travel we always get the double take.

      Are you sisters? Twins? How old are you guys?

      We tell them our age. What!! Really!! You two look like you right out of College. Undergrad school was years and years ago. Our 20th High School Reunion is next year.

      Thanks for commenting.

      Delete
  6. I heart you re: the airport security line. After all of these years, I STILL hate it. I feel a little violated (maybe a little hyperbolic). Since I write a lot about food in the context of travel, I really have no inkling to go to a McDonald's when traveling, but I will say that it's always interesting to go even just to look at the menu. When I was in India earlier this year, there were no Big Macs (cows are scared to the majority Hindu population). :) I wanted to try the paneer wrap and the spicy chicken. I guess next time?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, there is always a next time. Some people don't like traveling to the same place or destination twice, but I don't mind. I'll be going to Italy this November for the second time. My first time in Italy was in 2009. In fact there was a McDonald's in front of the Pantheon. I've since heard it has closed.

      Thanks for commenting.

      Delete
  7. Yikes! Last minute packer here. :)

    Great list - especially #5.

    Winks & Smiles,
    Wifey

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. From reading other people 5 Travel Pet Peeves it seems many travelers are last minute packers. I just rather be over prepared than underprepared. Thanks for commenting.

      Delete
  8. Ohh man! I am definitely NOT a last minute packer, although my husband is. I found it so interesting to hear how you and your sister differ in traveling styles. So cool!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks. Yes we do differ, but it works out in the end. We make it on the plane in time. haha!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rhonda,

      Jinx!! We responded the same time!!

      Sharee

      Delete
  10. Yeah! For the most part we balance each other out, but don't get us started on directions. We always have opposing opinions on how to get somewhere. Left, right, turn around, go straight,...it wears us out sometime...but we have fun with it and have found interesting places getting lost!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Aaaaw I love twins! Sorry but I just had to add that in! Lol! I hate the security check point too! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  12. The weirdest thing is that my mind KNOWS that I should sleep in when I'm on vacation. Why waste the time when you could be out exploring and doing. My body wants to snuggle back under the covers. There is like some invisible force that forces me up just because I know I shouldn't sleep in. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My sister is that way when we go to the beach. She sleeps in, but I like to walk the beach to clear my mind. Once I see or hear that ocean I just have to get out, can't stay in. But I know what you mean when you just want to crawl back into bed for another half an hour or more. haha!

      Delete
  13. OMG! I feel like I am guilty of all of these. *Shamefully hides face in hands* I have been inspired to get better. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's all right!! As my grandma used to say- "just keep on living", and that goes with travel hang ups!! BTW, I've added you to my blog roll!! Please consider adding me to yours!!

      Delete
  14. This discussion is very focused on the topic and I’m satisfied with the researched material as is is authentic and unbiased

    ReplyDelete